Wednesday, October 13, 2010

6 Week Check Up

Today I had my 6 week check up at the doctor.   Going to the doctor is always somewhat of an event, and today was no exception.   It starts with finding a babysitter for the other two kiddos.  (Thank you Denise!)  Then you have to leave about an hour before the appointment because I have to drive to Springfield.  Why doesn't Branson have more good doctors, can I get an Amen from my all my Branson sisters, ha!  I start heading my appointment, and I am most always late, so I am driving watching the clock the whole way.   I hurry all the way up there, only then to get to my appointment on time, but now have to wait for my doctor. It is a good thing I love my doctor so much, because the wait is ridiculous.   So because of the drive and expected wait at the doctor, and a 3 hour nursing window, Beckett got to come with me.   Today, once I finally got called back to the room to see the doctor, it had already been over an hour.  This is when the comedy began.   At my doctor's office they give you this paper drape to place over your lap, which always makes me laugh.  It is never big enough to wrap fully around yourself, especially when you are pregnant.  So all I can think about while I am waiting for the doctor to come in is that I feel like I will moon him when he walks in the door.  So here I am today, trying to hold the drape to stay covered, yet Beckett has just woken up in his car seat across the room.  (I'm sitting up on the table)  Going to him means, tip toeing across the room, while holding the drape and hoping that the doctor doesn't walk in at that moment.   Beckett's crying persists......still no doctor, so I had to go.   Picture me with one hand holding the paper drape, while the other hand tries to get a binkie in his mouth, and then rock the car seat with one foot, all while looking over my shoulder and hoping the doctor doesn't come in.  So I got Beckett calmed down, tip toed back to the table climbed up and.....he started crying again.  So we started the whole process over.  I debated do I go....listen for the doctor....no signs he is coming....nervously tip toe back.....rock, rock, cry cry, hold binkie, look over shoulder....get back as soon as I can.   All the while I thought surely the doctor would come at any moment so I didn't think I could just hold Beckett.  Well....after about 30 mins of this I had to pick him up.  I got him calmed down, he fell asleep, I creeped back to his seat to put him down (one hand on baby , other holding drape.   I tried to put him down one handed, this is much harder to do than I thought.  Lost the drape, quickly rush back to the table, get covered up and.....Beckett wakes up.  Begin again.  So after about an hour of sitting uncomfortably on a table trying to be decent, my doctor comes in.  The appointment last for about 15 mins, and Beckett is quiet the whole time.  Hilarious.  Thankfully no pictures included with this blog entry.

2 comments:

  1. Rachel, bless your soul for having such patience and laughing about that appointment. I can't believe you had to wait for an hour for the doctor to come in! Oh my girl! You are amazing.
    Oh, and super cute pictures of Beckett!
    -Bronwyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hysterical! I can totally picture it! And I agree, Dr. S is totally worth the wait and I would give anything to have to drive an hour and then have to wait four hours for him again!

    ReplyDelete