Friday, April 30, 2010

Gorillas and Indians

Collin claims that one of the first moments he fell in love with me was actually when we were at K-West setting up for a huge island themed party. The set up was so intense that it took a few days to get everything ready. There was scaffolding, power sprayers, tiki torches, wading pools, and a huge inflatable gorilla. The gorilla was like one that you would see on a car lot. It was big enough that everyone walked underneath its legs to enter the party. Well, minutes before one of the parties started everything was ready, and then our gorilla suddenly sank into the ground in a deflated pile of fabric. The seam had ripped all the way up the back, so it wouldn't hold air. Everyone's spirits deflated also, as it seemed one of the main parts of our party was ruined. Well....I happened to have a needle and thread in my cabin and after a couple of quick stitches the gorilla was back up, and the party saved. Who ever knew that knowing how to sew would be able to save a 30ft gorilla.
I should have known that would be an omen for the rest of my time working at kamp and the nutty things that I would continue to get to do. The other night Collin and I found ourselves sewing indian costumes and loin cloths. I like to sew, but really who knew I would be making indian costumes. This came after I spent the day running around looking for fabric and indian themed trims while the people in fabric stores looked at me like I was crazy. Just another snap shot into the life of a kamp directors. My job allows me to do everything from dressing up like a princess, sewing loin cloths, to leading kids to Christ. Crazy fun!



1 comment:

  1. Yes! Rachel I could not be more thrilled that you have started a blog! It's precious and I love everything about it! This is a perfect way for us to keep in touch with each other. Looking forward to seeing you guys this coming weekend! We are thrilled! Love you all so much! xoxo

    ReplyDelete